Just in time for St. Patrick’s Day…Darina Allen’s Leek and Potato Soup.
Leek and Potato Soup
2 oz butter
1 lb potatoes, peeled, diced
1 onion, chopped
1 lb leeks, sliced
850 ml chicken stock
125 ml cream
125 ml milk
4 green onions, chopped
1 Tbs butter
Chives, finely chopped
1. Melt butter in soup pot. Add potatoes, onion and leeks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover pot and sweat on gentle heat for 10 minutes.
2. Add stock, bring to boil and simmer until vegetables are just cooked.
3. Purée the vegetables until smooth and silky. Adjust seasoning. Add cream and milk to taste.
4. Sauté the green onions in butter.
5. Pour soup into bowls. Drizzle with remaining cream and scatter sautéed green onions over. Sprinkle with chives.
Now what? Irish music? Irish bands? Irish music by Irish bands? Irish I knew what I wanted to play.
Today, let’s go with some traditional Irish music. Ease into Monday.
I love this song by The Bard Of Armagh. Irish folk at its best.
Tommy Makem-The Wild Colonial Boy
This might be my favorite Irish song of all time. I remember hearing it for the first time when I was in Ireland with my husband (who is from Ireland). We were at a dinner party in Dublin with his college friends. After the meal one friend alternated between piano and violin and another played guitar and they all sang Irish songs. This was one of them. Beautiful.
Van Morrison & The Chieftains-Carrickfergus
Love those songs, and love a good leek and potato soup. Leeks really are under appreciated.