I always make Hot Cross Buns on Good Friday. It’s about the holiest I am going to get today.
This recipe for Hot Cross Buns comes from Nigella Lawson and has a nice balance of spices. It is not quite the best one out there, but it is pretty darned good. She calls the recipe “My Spicy Hot Cross Buns”. Okay.
Nigella Lawson’s Spicy Hot Cross Buns
2 oz butter
Zest of 1 orange
2 cardamom pods
3 cups (14 oz) bread flour
1 Tbs sugar
7g (2 1/2 tsp) easy blend yeast
1 cup mixed dried fruit
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1 egg, beaten with a little milk to make an egg wash
Ingredients for the crosses on the buns:
3 Tbs flour
1/2 Tbs sugar
2 Tbs water
Ingredients for the sugar glaze:
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs boiling water
1. Heat the milk, butter, zest, clove and cardamom pods in a saucepan until the butter melts, then leave to infuse until the milk has reached blood temperature. (That is Nigella speaking to us like we are a pack of vampires).
2. Measure the flour, sugar, yeast and dried fruit into a bowl and add the spices.
3. When milk is bloody well ready (that is me speaking to us), remove the clove and cardamom pods and beat in the egg. Pour this liquid into the bowl of dry ingredients.
4. Knead the dough either by hand or with a machine with a dough hook. If it is too dry add more warm milk or water. (I had to do this; approx 1/3 cup more). Knead until dough is silky and elastic. Place in buttered bowl. cover with cling film, and leave to proof overnight in the fridge. (Nigella adds that this is not necessary, but feels it gives the rolls better taste and texture. If you choose to proceed without the overnight step just allow the dough to rise about 1 to 1 1/2 hours in a warm place. I liked the fridge method. That way I was able to have the Hot Cross Buns on the breakfast table, warm from the oven, when my kiddies awoke.)
5. Preheat oven to 425℉/220C.
6. Remove dough from fridge and let come to room temperature.
7. Punch dough down and divide it into 16 ping pong sized balls. Place balls, er buns, on a parchment lined baking sheet. Score the tops of the buns with the imprint of a cross. Cover with a tea towel and let rise for 45 minutes.
9. Bake buns for 15 minutes. When the buns come out of the oven, mix the sugar and boiling water together for the glaze, and brush each hot bun to make them sweet and shiny.
Backyard Tire Fire-Good To Be
You can check out the band and buy their music here.
My favorite Friday Mile song is Handle It. But, seeing that the band is offering Autograph as a free download, that seemed the right song to play. You can grab the download and also buy their other stuff here.