Last Monday my son asked if I could bake cupcakes for him to bring into school on Friday for his half birthday. Sure! We decided on Minion Cupcakes because those adorable, yellow fellows from ‘Despicable Me’ are so irresistable. I headed out to our local grocery store to pick up the Twinkies, shoestring licorice and Smarties that I needed. No go. Off to the other local grocery store. Nope. I guess the Hanover Co-Ops would only carry Twinkies if they came in an organic/artisanal version.
Tuesday it started to snow. I was planning on driving to West Lebanon, NH which is our area’s designated spot for the big box stores and chain groceries. Well, I’m on the road from my house down to town and there is a car in the ditch. Not a good sign. I’ve had my share of ditches and I am not a fan. I made it into town, but even the main roads were pretty slippery and covered in snow.
I made a decision to ditch (Ha!) the West Leb trip and see if I could find the ingredients at our town’s general store, Dan & Whits. Their motto is “If we don’t have it, you don’t need it”. Damn. They did not have it and I REALLY needed it.
That night on his way home from work I asked my husband to stop in Hanover and see if the CVS had the items. Surely Dartmouth students needed a Twinkie fix now and again. No Smarties, no licorice and only 4 Twinkies.
Wednesday was a snow day. I remained optimistic and baked the cupcakes, but couldn’t leave the house to try and find those blasted Deco ingredients. I phoned my piano teacher that evening since she was coming to my house in the morning and would be driving through West Lebanon. The desperate fool that I am asked her if she could stop at the Price Chopper and try and get the goods for me.
Sweetie that my teacher is said yes and came up with a carton of Twinkies and a bag of Smarties. I have never been so happy to see those stupid things. No licorice, though. I headed out on a licorice mission late Thursday and 3 hours searching yielded a sweet shop that sold it. I bought every last bag they had.
The Minion making commenced Friday morning. They were delivered to delighted 6th graders and we all lived happily ever after.
(Based on a batch of 24 cupcakes. Tailor amounts if you will be making less. )
24 of your favorite cupcakes
Enough vanilla frosting to ice 24 cupcakes, tinted blue
White Jimmies (sprinkles)
Black shoe string licorice
96 Smarties (only the white ones)
A Black Food Writer
Small amount of white chocolate, melted (I used 1/2 ounce and had leftover)
Small amount of semisweet (Or whatever brown chocolate you have on hand. As above, I used 1/2 ounce with leftovers.)
Directions: (or as Gru would say, “Assemble The Minions!!”)
1. Pipe the icing in swirls on the cupcakes and sprinkle with white jimmies.
2. Sort out the Smarties. (Psst: A note about Smarties…there are not a whole lot of white ones. I had to unroll every single package in the bag to get even close to the amount needed and then had to use a bunch of the light grey ones in order to have enough. Also, they are more delicate than you think. Be careful unwrapping so that the sides don’t get chipped.)
3. Attach two Smarties together with melted white chocolate. Outline the Smarties with the marker for the goggles. Add an eye dot in the center. (I made a few uni-goggled guys and used a candy eye for the center)
4. Cut the Twinkies in half horizontally and attach the goggles with melted white chocolate.
6. Cut additional pieces of licorice for the mouths and the goggle straps. Affix them to the Twinkies with the melted semisweet chocolate.
Adapted from Confessions Of A Cookbook Queen
Now for the singing….and dancing!
The Bee Gees-You Should Be Dancing
The Old 97s-The Villain
U2-I Will Follow