Make these cheerful and totally delightful Slice ‘n’ Bake Lemon Gems.
The tart lemon glaze over the melt in your mouth cookie is so yummy. The nonpareils give a beautiful pop of color and a nice crunchy bit to each bite.
Slice ‘n’ Bake Lemon Gems
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 Tbs grated lemon zest
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup colored nonpareils
Icing (recipe follows)
1. In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon zest.
2. In another bowl, whisk flour and cornstarch then gradually add to creamed mixture. Mix well then refrigerate, covered, for 1 hour.
3. Shape the dough into a log about 7 inches long and 1-3/4-inch diameter. (I couldn’t, for the life of me, get the dough into a round roll, thus the rectangular cookies you see in the photos). Roll the log in the colored nonpareils.
4. Wrap the dough log in plastic and refrigerate 2-3 hours or until firm.
5. Preheat oven to 375°F.
6. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place 1 inch apart on parchment lined baking sheets.
7. Bake 9-11 minutes or until set and edges are light browned. Cool 1 minute then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
8. Spread the icing over the cookies and let stand until set.
Makes 28 cookies
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 Tbs lemon juice
1. Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
Recipes from Food.com
Grumpiness made me think of this song from the latest Hippo Campus EP ‘Good Dog, Bad Dream’.
In ‘Bad Dream Baby’, a fabulously infectious tune, the singer asks:
“Remember hanging out at Grumpy’s?
chilling with some dudes in their 40’s”
But even better are these lyrics:
“I’m worried about Britney Spears
It’s pretty fucked up how her dad runs her life
I wish my dad was more involved in mine
but not like that really not like that yeah”
(Thankfully, Britney has been freed since this song was released)
Check out Hippo Campus on Bandcamp where you can learn of upcoming world tour dates and buy their music.