Macaroons go hand in hand with Passover. (This is a good article on how that came to be.) Dates add a fun twist to these nutty coconut ones. This goy used flour, but matzo meal will substitute just fine.
Coconut Date Macaroons
2 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbs flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Whisk the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer until foamy. Add sugar, flour, salt and extract. Beat until well blended.
3. Stir in the coconut, dates and almonds.
4. Drop dough by heaping teaspoons 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
5. Bake the macaroons for 15 minutes or until golden-brown.
6. Cool the macaroons completely before storing. Macaroons can be kept in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Makes 1 dozen
Recipe from Cookies! A Cookie Lover’s Collection
Living life in peace.
Here is ‘Imagine’ as performed by my son’s a cappella group this past weekend.