It’s a weeknight and you are craving some lasagna. In just over 30 minutes you can have this Skillet Spinach Lasagna on the table and ready to eat.
Layers of spinach, noodles, cheese and a sausage packed sauce are just the ticket for a happy meal. So delicious and so easy.
Skillet Spinach Lasagna
1 pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
16 oz ricotta cheese
8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
6 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles
7 cups baby spinach (about 5 oz), divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1. Cook the sausage, stirring and breaking it up, in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high until cooked through and browned, about 8 minutes. (I used a 10 inch skillet)
2. Reduce heat to medium. Add the tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and ½ teaspoon of the salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce begins to simmer, about 4 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together ricotta, egg, 1 cup of the mozzarella, and the remaining salt.
4. Remove the skillet from heat and set aside 3 cups of the sauce in a bowl.
5. Preheat broiler with oven rack 6 inches from heat.
6. Place a layer of lasagna noodles over the sauce in the skillet, breaking the pieces to fit as necessary. Top with 1 cup of the reserved sauce, ¾ cup of ricotta mixture, and 3 cups of the spinach. Repeat the layers twice with the remaining noodles, sauce, ricotta mixture, and spinach, omitting the spinach from the top layer.
7. Return the skillet to heat. Cover and cook over medium until the noodles are softened, about 20 minutes. Top with the remaining 1 cup of spinach. Cover and cook just until the spinach wilts, about 1 minute. Uncover and top with the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella.
8. Broil until the cheese begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Check every minute so that the cheese will not burn.
9. Sprinkle with the basil and serve.
Recipe from Real Simple
I hit ‘play’ and fell in love with “Simple Love” before the song was even 10 seconds in.
There’s the synthtastic beat, the cool vocals and the ultra catchy chorus…
“Our love is an open road
It’s the only road
It’s an open road”
Check out The Dig on the band’s Website where you can learn of upcoming tour dates in the US southwest and buy their music.