Here is a quick tutorial on how to turn a healthy bowl of broccoli into the ultimate junk food.
1) Introduce broccoli to the cheese sauce: “2 cups heavy cream with 2 cups cheese, please meet these nutrition rich vegetable stalks.”
2) Invite some crunchy cheese flavored snacks to the party. (Make sure to play some loud cheesy music.)
That’s all there is to it.
Now get a fork and spoon and dive into crunchy, cheesy, rich broccoli heaven. You’ll convert broccoli haters everywhere.
Broccoli With Cheetos
Cheese Sauce (recipe follows)
1¼ lbs broccoli, cut into small florets, stems cut crosswise into ¼ inch slices
3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbs minced garlic
1 tsp crushed red chile flakes
2 cups Cheetos, crushed by hand
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add broccoli and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain broccoli, transfer to a bowl of ice water. Drain and transfer to paper towels to dry. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and chile flakes and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Add broccoli to skillet and cook, stirring often, until just lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
4. To serve, spoon cheese sauce evenly among 6 warm serving bowls or plates. Top sauce with broccoli and sprinkle with Cheetos.
Serves 6 as a side dish
2 cups heavy cream
2 Tbs minced garlic
2 Tbs minced shallots
6 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1½ cups grated aged Gouda
½ cup grated Parmesan
Kosher salt, to taste
1. Heat cream, garlic, shallots, peppercorns, and bay leaf in a 2 quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Cook, stirring often, until reduced by half, about 6 minutes.
3. Remove pan from heat, stir in cheeses until melted, and season with salt.
4. Set a fine strainer over a small saucepan and strain sauce, discarding solids. Set aside and keep warm.
Recipes from Saveur Magazine
“Ulysses” is a little bit folk, a little alt-country and a lot fabulous. It’s the title track of BC, Canada band Current Swell’s latest release and is followed by 11 more tunes that range from cool rocker to mid-tempo chill. I hope they like Cheetos.
“If it feels right
then it can’t be wrong”
Check out Current Swell on the band’s Website, where you can learn of upcoming US and Canadian tour dates and buy their music.