I know a lot of jokes about unemployed people but none of them work.
You know what does work?
Pecans and chocolate and caramel.
The ingredients that make up those delicious turtle candies come together in these Fudgy Turtle Brownies. The brownie base is dark and fudgy, but has a bit of a crumb. The pecan layer comes out of the oven crisp so no pre-toasting required. Drizzles of caramel and melted chocolate top it all, as does a sprinkling of sea salt.
These are some seriously heavenly brownies.
Fudgy Turtle Brownies
4 oz unsalted butter, softened
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped, plus 2 ounces melted
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups pecan halves
Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
Cream Caramel (recipe follows, but you could also use purchased caramel sauce)
1. Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Line bottom and long sides with parchment, leaving an overhang. Grease the parchment. (I completely forgot to use parchment and my brownies released just fine from the greased baking dish).
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
3. Melt chopped chocolate, butter and oil in a microwave. Remove from heat. Add both sugars and whisk until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla and whisk until incorporated, about 1 minute.
4. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture and stir just until combined (do not overmix).
5. Pour batter into prepared dish and spread evenly. Arrange pecans on top in a single layer.
6. Bake until a tester inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs, 40 to 45 minutes.
7. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Drizzle caramel over brownies and let cool until set, about 30 minutes.
9. Drizzle with melted chocolate then sprinkle with flaky salt. Let chocolate set then cut into squares and serve.
Makes about 24 brownies (They are rich, so you might want to cut into even smaller pieces–or not!)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup heavy cream, room temperature
1. Combine sugar and corn syrup in a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil, about 5 minutes.
2. Uncover and continue to cook, swirling pan occasionally and brushing down sides with a wet pastry brush, until mixture turns medium amber, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
3. Carefully add cream in a slow stream (mixture will bubble up). Remove from heat and stir until smooth.
4. Let cool until caramel thickens slightly but is still pourable, about 10 minutes. Makes 1 cup. Use immediately.
Recipes from Martha Stewart
Brownies and Sail By Summer.
Chocolate and electro fabulousness.
Such amazing pairings.
‘Casual Heaven’, the new album from Scandinavia-based band Sail By Summer packs a big musical punch. Pure synth nirvana shares the stage with softer moments. A little sad, a little hopeful.
The music video for ‘Lowlowlow’ premiered last month.
“Take me back
to the place we met”
Check out Sail By Summer on the band’s Website where you can buy their music.