Cauliflower is the big king of starchy substitution these days. It’s suddenly a common pizza crust, rice, and mashed potato.
In today’s clever recipe it is cut into thick slices, lightly breaded then deep fried. The crisp-tender ‘steaks’ get super sandwich treatment tucked in ciabatta rolls with creamy hummus, pickled cucumbers, peppery arugula and sweet bell pepper. So good.
Spicy Cauli Steak Burgers
1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
1 Tbs white wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 medium head cauliflower
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
2 Tbs flour
100g dried white breadcrumbs
2 eggs, beaten
Oil for frying
4 ciabatta rolls, toasted and halved
4 Tbs hummus
Small bunch of arugula
4 slices red pepper
Hot sauce to serve, optional
1. In a small bowl, toss the cucumber with the vinegar and sugar. Set aside.
2. Put the cauliflower stalk-end down on a chopping board. Trim the ends off 2 sides of the cauliflower then cut the remainder into 1-inch slices through the root to make 4 ‘steaks’ (Save leftovers for another use). Trim slightly, if needed, so they fit in the buns.
3. Divide the spices equally between the flour and breadcrumbs in 2 shallow bowls and lightly season each with salt and pepper. Dip each cauli steak in the flour. Dip in the beaten egg then coat in the breadcrumbs.
4. Heat 1-inch deep of oil in a large frying pan. Cook the steaks on a medium heat for about 5 minutes each side until crisp, golden and tender.
5. Spread the top and bottom of each bun with hummus. Add a few arugula leaves then a slice of pepper. Top with the cauli steak and some of the drained pickled cucumber. Add some hot sauce, if using then put on the tops and serve.
Recipe from Olive Magazine
“kisses xx”, spanking new from Liverpool-based Pizzagirl, throws off a comfortable retro vibe. And Pizzagirl is neither female nor a pizza.
Check out Pizzagirl on his Website where you can learn of upcoming shows in the UK and link to buy the music.