I was really excited when I saw this Butternut Squash Hummus in Ina Garten’s latest cookbook dedicated to her husband’s favorite things. (It is a super sweet read). Cinnamon and maple syrup add a hint of sweetness which is countered by a good dose of sriracha and garlic. I love the roasted squash garnish.
Butternut Squash Hummus
1 1/4 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas, drained with liquid reserved
1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon Sriracha
Pure Grade A maple syrup, for serving
Toasted pita bread, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400℉.
2. Place the butternut squash on a baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with the cinnamon, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss well and spread the squash out in a single layer on the pan.
3. Roast squash for 25 minutes, until tender, and set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
4. Reserve 1/4 cup of squash for the garnish and transfer the rest to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
5. Add the chickpeas, yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, Sriracha, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper to the squash and pulse until coarsely processed but not puréed. Add 1/4 cup of the reserved chickpea liquid and pulse a few times to combine. If the hummus is too thick, add more liquid a few tablespoons at a time.
6. Taste hummus for seasonings and transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with the reserved butternut squash, drizzle with maple syrup and serve with the toasted pita bread.
Serves 6 to 8
Recipe slightly adapted from Cooking for Jeffrey by Ina Garten
The buildup in this wistful tune from Paul De Leon takes some of the sting out of the sadness.
“Oh my body, oh my anguish
Oh my failures, wish they’d vanish
Oh my sorrow sweetest sorrow
Only you take it away”
Check out Paul De Leon on Facebook where you can keep tuned for where to buy his music.