Q: What do you call blueberries playing the guitar?
A: A jam session.
Dense and buttery, dotted with moist, lemony berries, this Blueberry Cornmeal Butter Cake is gonna be your jam. The cornmeal lends such fabulous texture.
Blueberry Cornmeal Butter Cake
4 oz butter, softened
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp lemon zest
1/3 cup sour cream
2 cups blueberries
Streusel (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 350℉. Line bottom of an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray.
2. Whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and zest. Add a third of the flour mixture, all of the sour cream, and another third of the flour, beating until just blended after each addition.
4. Mix the rest of the flour with the blueberries and gently fold into the batter.
5. Spread the batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with the streusel.
6. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and then use parchment to lift it onto a cooling rack.
1/2 cup sugar
6 Tbs flour
2 Tbs cornmeal
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2 Tbs butter, cut into small pieces
1. Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl and combine with a fork to form small clumps.
Recipes from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
‘Out Of The Ashes’, by LA-based artist Cory Cooper combines 80’s style electronica with powerful, comforting lyrics. We all get stronger when we have people in our lives to lift us higher.
“I want to thank you
for giving me your love”