My daughter is currently taking a course in Russia. I haven’t talked to her about what she has been eating the past two weeks while there, but I am sure beets have been on the menu. If she is lucky, an alternate to the ubiquitous borscht would be a lovely bowl of Beet Soup With Crème Fraîche And Chives.
This silky smooth soup with its pretty pink hue is packed with vegetables. The tangy cream and crunchy croutons are terrific toppers.
Beet Soup With Crème Fraîche And Chives
40g unsalted butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 potato, peeled, chopped
1 bay leaf
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
450g can baby beetroot, drained, roughly chopped
Crème fraîche (or sour cream), croutons and finely snipped chives, to serve
Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
1. Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and carrot. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until slightly softened.
2. Add the potato and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the bay leaf, stock and 1 cup water. Increase the heat to medium-high, bring soup to the boil, then cook for 5 minutes longer or until the vegetables are very tender.
3. Add the beets and simmer for 3 minutes.
4. Allow the mixture to cool slightly, then discard the bay leaf. Using a stick blender or regular blender, purée soup until smooth.
5. Season soup to taste, add a little extra water if it’s too thick, and warm through over low heat if necessary.
6. To serve, divide soup among bowls and top each with some crème fraîche or sour cream. Sprinkle with croutons and chives, then drizzle with oil.
Recipe from Delicious Magazine
Only fitting to go to Saint Petersburg, Russia for today’s music.
Not exactly sure what the singer is specifically saying (an iTunes review of the album says “She could be reading the phone book for all I know… but her music is sublime.”). However, since the song title translates to ‘Lullaby’, I am pretty sure the lyrics are as soothing as the beautiful piano and vocals.
Check out Помни Имя Свое on Bandcamp where you can buy the music.