Remember the other day when I shared the Fruit Crostata recipe that my son made at King Arthur Flour baking camp? Well, he also made these incredible Chocolate Chip Scones. They are probably the best scones I have ever had. Packed with chocolate chips, tender inside, crisp on the outside. Just fantastic.
2 cups flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
heaping 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
1 egg yolk (reserve the white for topping)
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Coarse white sparkling sugar, for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Blend the butter, working it in until the mixture is crumbly.
4. Blend in chocolate chips.
5. Whisk together the egg yolk and buttermilk. Stir into the butter mixture until just mixed.
6. Knead the dough briefly on a lightly floured surface. If it seems too dry add a little more buttermilk.
7. Gently form dough into a flattened round and cut into 6 pieces, leaving them attached.
8. Brush the dough with the reserved egg white and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
9. Bake the scones for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden brown.
Makes 6 big scones
Recipe from King Arthur Flour
Here’s a little laid back synth to groove to.