Happy New Year!
One day late.
But it is Friday, so still great cause to celebrate! I’m looking forward to sharing yet another year of fun, food and music with you.
Today’s recipe is a homey, retro breakfast that can be mostly assembled the night before serving. It has lots of cheese and ham in a mustardy-spiced custard. The buttered Cornflake topping adds a sweet crunch.
16 slices day-old bread, crusts removed and cubed
1 pound cubed fully cooked ham
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
6 eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1-1/2 cups finely crushed Cornflakes cereal
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Layer with ham, cheeses and remaining bread cubes.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and seasonings; pour over the top.
3. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
4. Remove casserole from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
5. Combine the cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over casserole.
6. Bake, uncovered, at 375°F for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 8 to 10
Recipe from Taste Of Home Casseroles Cookbook
Brooklyn-based band Lazyeyes has some shoegazey goodness to open up the New Year. Their new album is out next week.