These Snow Cone Cupcakes.
They are also colorful and fun with fruity icing and a dense, moist vanilla cake.
While not difficult to make, do set aside a good block of time to decorate. To get the stripes somewhat even is a bit time consuming, but I thought well worth the end result.
The baking cups I used (see link below) are not intended for oven use. I love the way they look, though, so I stayed in the kitchen the whole time the cupcakes were baking and kept an eye out for any smoking from the oven. It was not an issue and I would bake with them again with care and vigilance.
Ingredients for vanilla cupcakes:
1 box white cake mix
4 egg whites
1/3 cup oil
¾ cup milk
¾ cup sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for icing:
1 ½ cups butter, softened
5-7 cups confectioners’ sugar
2-3 Tbs milk
1 Tbs lemon flavored gelatin
1 Tbs cherry flavored gelatin
1 Tbs blue berry flavored gelatin
Coarse sugar in yellow, red and blue, poured into small bowls
1. Preheat your oven to 350℉. Line pans with cupcake liners or use soufflé cups.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the cake mix, eggs, oil, milk, sour cream and vanilla extract.
3. Fill cupcake liners ¾ full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
4. Make the icing: Beat butter for 2 minutes and scrape down the sides of bowl. Slowly add sugar until desired consistency is reached. Add a little milk if it becomes too thick.
5. In three small bowls, evenly divide the icing. Add a different gelatin flavor to each bowl and mix it in. Taste and add more gelatin if needed.
6. To assemble, pipe a strip of yellow icing across the center of each cupcake. Use a knife to smooth it out into an arc on the cupcake. Roll the top of yellow icing into yellow sugar.
7. Pipe red icing on one side of the yellow icing strip. Use knife to smooth out the icing and fill in the area. Roll the red icing in red sugar. (The red sugar will not stick to the yellow strip if the yellow strip has been fully covered in yellow sugar.)
8. Repeat step 7 using the blue icing and blue sugar.
9. Once the cupcake is completely covered in sugar, use a dry hand to round out the top of the cupcake and to smooth the edges between each flavor.
Makes about 22 cupcakes
Recipe from Your Cup Of Cake
I’m really picky when it comes to instrumental music, especially if it is electronic.
‘Mammoth Snow Cone’ kind of feels like something one would hear at a bustling county fair, if the owners had fun taste. It’s sufficiently interesting to keep me listening.