As you know, I am intrigued by recipes that are unusual, but sound great.
Like these Macaroni And Cheese Pancakes.
I love mac and cheese. I love pancakes. Would I love them together?
Throw together a buttermilk based pancake batter, cooked macaroni and a bunch of cheese and a few fry minutes later you have crisp edged, fluffy, cheesy centered disks of goodness.
The recipe calls for serving with maple syrup, which is how we had it last night. This morning though, I had some of the leftover pancakes with pickled, sliced jalapeños and that was really fantastic.
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt
2 1/3 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 1/2 cups cooked macaroni (1 1/4 cups dried), preferably elbows, drained and cooled
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar, plus some extra to garnish (I used yellow cheddar for the batter and sharp white for the garnish)
Maple syrup, for serving
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and butter.
3. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Using a spoon, fold in the macaroni and cheddar.
4. Preheat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and lightly grease. Using a 1/4-cup measure and working in batches of 4, scoop the batter onto the griddle to make pancakes. Cook until the undersides of the pancakes are golden-brown and bubbles start to form on the top, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook until the second side is golden-brown, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
5. Transfer pancakes to a baking sheet and keep warm in a 200℉ oven while cooking the remaining pancake batter.
6. Serve with maple syrup and a scattering of shredded cheddar.
Serves 4 to 6
Recipe from Rachael Ray Magazine
A recipe as unusual and cheerful as Mac ‘n Cheese Pancakes needs a knee slapping, good tune, preferably by a band with an unusual name.
Nude Party, out of Sweden, will do the trick quite nicely.
“Little Kennedy” is from the band’s latest EP ‘Ingratitude Is The World’s Reward’, out this month.
Check out Nude Party on the band’s Website, where you can learn upcoming Swedish tour dates and buy their music. A word of caution…Google searching the band comes up with some pretty startling stuff.