Q: What did the blind man say after being handed a cheese grater?
A: “That’s the most violent book I’ve ever read.”
Q: Which is the most religious cheese?
A: Swiss, because it is holy.
“World’s Best”, “Famous”, “Perfect”, “Best Ever”, “Amazing”.
As I have said before, if a recipe title has any of those descriptions in it, I feel like I have to try it.
So, being a huge lover of Macaroni and Cheese, how could I not try the recipe that got the “World’s Best” nod?
Absolutely a contender for World’s Best.
The gruyère gives the dish an elegant turn, but its strong flavor is tempered by the cheddar. Lots of Parmesan adds to the richness and a hint of cayenne lends just a hint of spiciness.
I found a really good forum on “tried and true recipes for Mac and Cheese” here. You might want to check that out, too, because one can never try enough recipes for Mac and Cheese, right?
World’s Best Macaroni And Cheese
1 pound penne pasta
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded gruyère or Swiss cheese
1 cup cheddar cheese, divided
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and cook pasta, al dente, according to the package instructions. Drain.
3. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. When it foams, add the flour and cook, stirring, until the mixture browns (this is referred to as a roux), about 5 minutes.
4. Slowly stir milk into the roux and whisk until the mixture becomes smooth and starts to thicken. Add the gruyère and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. Stir until cheeses melt. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste.
5. Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles, then toss in the Parmesan.
6. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan or individual ramekins and spoon in the pasta mixture. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over the top.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes until bubbling and the cheese topping forms a nice crust.
Recipe from Witty In The City
‘Toucan Blues’, the new song from Adeleide-based band Jimmy & The Mirrors, is deliciously catchy. Big sound, toe tapping beat and a perfect dose of Ooooohs.
Check out Jimmy & The Mirrors on the band’s Website, where you can keep up to date as to when their new album will be released this month. You can buy their older music on Bandcamp.